20 Visual Timers For Children With Special NeedsIf you have a child with special needs you now how difficult transitions are. Children with special needs, especially children with autism have difficulty with moving from one activity or event to another. An effective solution to help with transitions has been the use of visual timers. Visual timers help teach the concept of time to children with special needs. It also gives them an understanding that every activity is limited to a set amount of time. So where can you find a visual timer for your child?
Right here. We have gathered together 20 visual timers that can help your child with special needs.
1. Time TimersRecommended by Autism and ADHD experts, Time Timer is one of the most popular visual timers available on the market. With an uncluttered interface, silent operation and optional audible alert this timer works great in almost any setting. Time Timers come in three, eight and 12 inch sizes, perfect for the classroom, in your home or on the go. Price: $30-$40 Purchase at: TimeTimer.com
2. Time Tracker & Time Tracker MiniTime Tracker is a great visual tool for children with special needs. Following along the lines of a traffic light, Time Tracker uses colors to notify a child that his or her time is almost up. Time Tracker features volume control, a pause feature and quick programming of the lights and sound effects. Price: $26 Purchase at: Amazon.com
3. Time Tracker MiniThe Time Tracker Mini is a smaller more simple version of the Time Tracker. The Time Tracker Mini is half the size of the original Time Tracker (4.75 inches tall) and operates easily with just 2 dials. Alarm times on the Mini can be set from 5 minutes to 2 hours, in 5-minute increments. Price: $15 Purchase at: Amazon.com
4. Talking TimerThe Lux Talking Timer offers the flexibility to be used as either a precise clock or as a count up/count down timer. A clear spoken voice will announce the time of day or how much time remains until the count down elapses. You can set a timer for up to 23 hours and decide if you would like an audible alarm or not. Price: $17 Purchase at: Amazon.com
5. Amco Color Alert TimerWhile this timer was designed with the kitchen in mind, it can also be used for your child with special needs. The Amco Color Alert Timer is useful if you are looking for an inexpensive timer or looking for the added bonus of kitchen use. The timer is a 60 minute timer, that blinks yellow with 10 minutes left and red with one minute left. Price: $17 Purchase at: Amazon.com
6. Time Timer WatchThe Time Timer watch is a great product for young adults with autism or ADHD. The watch has three features: A clock, alarm and countdown timer. The Time Timer watch gives teens and young adults independence while helping them to get a better understanding of time. Features of the watch include vibrating and audible alerts, repeatable time segments and 12- or 24-hour clock options. Price: $75 Purchase at: TimeTimer.com
Aside from the physical timers that you can purchase in stores there are also many timer apps available in the Apple iTunes Store and the Google Play Store. Below is a list of highly regarded timer apps for both platforms.
7. Sharing TimerSharing Timer focuses on reinforcing the concept of sharing and turn-taking. With sharing timer you can select an activity, choose whose turn it is and set the timer. The graphics, sounds, activities and of course the time limit can all be customized to fit your needs. With its large, clear graphics, Sharing Timer makes it easier for children with special needs to use. Price: $7.99
8. Time TimerThe Time Timer App displays time as a red disk that quietly gets smaller as time elapses. Children as young as three understand that when the red is gone, time is up! The Time Timer App has a professional look and packed feature set to help adults make every moment count. Highly recommended by experts in education, healthcare, ADHD, Autism and parenting. Time Timer has separate apps for the iPhone and iPad. Price: $4.99 for iPad App and $2.99 for iPhone App
9. Vis TimerVisual thinkers, especially when they are children, have difficulty conceptualizing time. The VisTimer was developed to provide a gentle implementation of time imposed limits. It utilizes an animated shrinking pie chart to depict elapsed time. Vis Timer includes an early warning preference setting to indicate the timer is approaching completion. Price: $1.99
10. iPromptsiPrompts is a special needs app that does a number of things including: picture schedules, choice prompts and more. iPrompts also has a countdown timer that displays an image of the caregiver’s choice along with a graphical countdown timer set to any duration. The app is useful for demonstrating how much time is left until a current activity ends, or before the next pictured activity begins. Price: $39.99
11. Stoplight ClockStoplight Clock provides a distraction-free countdown with vivid colors to let your child know when they are nearly out of time. With this app you can disable the alarm and customize the length of time for each color. Price: 1.99
12. Kiddie Countdown TimerKiddie Countdown makes it easy for your kids to see how much time they have left for a particular task. Kiddie Countdown uses clear simple graphics in green, yellow and red to let your child know how much time is left. The App also supports background alarms so even if it isn’t running in the foreground, you will still get the alarms. Price: $0.99
13. Wait TimerWait Timer is a visual and audio tool to help children with waiting. The app includes a social story about waiting, and an audio/visual tool for waiting that can be set to different times. Features include: settings to easily change the “wait” time. You can set the timer to as little as one second to gradually introduce waiting and there is no minimum or maximum times. Price: $2.99
14. Buddy's TimerBuddy's Timer is perfectly suited to children with autism. The app is a no-frills countdown timer that helps teach the concepts of time. You can set the timer for up to 60 minutes in increments of five. The app comes with a screen lock and a piano key chime for audio support. Price: $1.99