In only one year the Apple iPad has revolutionized the tech industry. 15 Million iPads have been sold and estimates are that within the next 3 years over 115 million tablets will be shipped.
When the iPad was launched there was a lot of talk of what exactly it would be used for. Movies, games, school work and social networking where all mentioned as possibilities. What no one foresaw including Steve Jobs himself was the use of the iPad for special education.
One year later dozens if not hundreds of applications have been created that enhance the quality of life for individuals with all types of disabilities. The market for such applications has become so big that Apple has created a Special Education section of their App Store to cater to the special needs community. Stories in media, among them the New York Times and the San Francisco Weekly are extolling the virtues of using an iPad for assistive communication.
To try and make sense of all of this we have put together a nine part series on the iPad and useful applications.
In this series we will try and provide guidance and resources that will make it easier for those looking for more information about the iPad, new apps and special education.
App Series articles will run twice a week for five weeks and will include:
- The Special Needs iPad & App Series: Welcome
- 7 Assistive communication (AAC) apps for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
- 7 Scheduling and Behavioral Apps to help with transitions and more
- 11 Social Skills & Life Skills Apps in iPad App Store
- 10 Websites to Find Special Needs Apps for the iPad & iPhone
- 7 Special Needs Apps in the Google Android Market
- On a tight budget? 7 ways to get an ipad for your child with special needs
- 6 steps to get the iPad into your child’s special education classroom
- 4 Special Needs iPad/iPhone Apps for the Future
We hope you find this series helpful and informative. If you have any suggestions or comments on the series we would love to hear them!
More Special Needs Apps
Looking for more special needs apps? Check out the Special Needs App Review!
With over a thousand apps now available to help individuals with special needs it has become increasingly difficult to find and choose the right special needs app. The Friendship Circle App Review gives you the ability to find the perfect special needs app for your child.