Friendship Circle Logo
Pure Friendship for Individuals with Special Needs
Annie
News, Special Education

19 Special Needs News Stories and Blog Posts from the past week

Special Needs News and BlogsEvery Sunday, we select the week's big special needs stories and great blog posts from special needs bloggers. This week, we're featuring eight news stories, six blog posts, and this week's post in the Friendship Circle Blog. In The News

Wall Street Journal: Scientists Probe Role of Brain in ADHD Cases

By tracking signs of neural activity among children with and without ADHD, neurologists found that a critical mental control area—the dorsal anterior cingulated cortex—works harder and less effectively among children with attention problems. This brain different may be a cause of the inattentiveness, impulsivity, and focus problems children with ADHD can have, the scientists say.

The Today Show: Teachers caught on tape bullying special-needs girl

After school administrators repeatedly told Brian that his daughter, Cheyanne, was lying about being bullied and harassed by two of her teachers, Brian equipped her with a hidden tape recorder under her clothes. This article shares Cheyanne’s story and provides audio footage of the comments her teacher and teacher aide made.

NBC Philadelphia: VIDEO: Teacher Unloads on Special Needs Student

When nobody believe that Julio Artuz was being bullied, he videotaped an interaction with the bully on his cell phone. Like in Cheyanne’s case, Julio’s bully was also a teacher. NBC includes the video Julio recorded, along with updates on actions the school district plans to take against the teacher.

The Canberra Times: Band to rock disabilities preconceptions

Rudely Interrupted, an Australian-based band that consists of members with disabilities, is spreading a message to the world: “It’s not about the disability, it’s about the person, and the music.’’ The band is the headline act for the Queanbeyan’s Festival of Ability on December 1, a festival that will mark the International Day of People with a Disability.

Haaretz.com: Stolen monkey affair leaves Israeli zoo officials scratching their heads

Police recovered one of the six squirrel monkeys that were stolen from the Hai Park zoo near Kiryat Motzkin two weeks ago. A group of 24 volunteers with Down syndrome, who do maintenance work and feet and pet the animals, first noticed the missing monkeys. The theft is being investigated by the Israel Nature and Parks Authority and the police, who  suspect that the monkeys were stolen to be sold to amusement and entertainment establishments.

Disability Scoop: UN Gives Nod To World Down Syndrome Day

A resolution to establish an annual World Down Syndrome Day cleared a UN committee by consensus last week. The awareness day will be adopted by the General Assembly in December, officials say. World Down Syndrome Day will be on March 21, a significant date because Down syndrome occurs when a person has three copies of the 21st chromosome.

The Chicago Sun-Times: What happens when autistic kids grow up?

There is no consistent solution for families trying to find programs for their children with special needs after they graduate high school—many families are “blazing their own trail.”

From The Blogosphere

Love That Max: Holiday gifts that benefit kids with special needs

Looking for a holiday gift that will help your child—and they’ll love, as well? In this post, you’ll find information on great gifts for children with special needs that will help them with sensory needs, communicating, and make them feel like the amazing children they are.

Different Dream: Fall Fun Folders

These crafty folders contain resources and activities blogger Amy Stout used while home-schooling her daughter Kylie, who has autism. The activities help with learning numbers, the alphabet, colors, and more.

Reality Check: Taming Temper Tantrums

Need a new strategy to address your child’s temper tantrums? Dr. Michele Borba’s post shares what research suggests is best to do before, during, and after your child’s tantrum—such as using calming transitions, ensuring safety, and practicing “untantrums.”

Hopeful Parents: That Thing I Don’t Talk About

The author writes about a particular challenge her 8-year-old with Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome faces, and how her family tries to protect her daughter and her dignity.

The New York Times SchoolBook: Inclusion: The Right Thing for All Students

Studies have shown educators and administrators that inclusion in schools benefits all students, whether or not they have special needs; books, research articles, and guidelines show these educators and administrators how to implement inclusive programs. According to Cheryl M. Jorgensen, “It’s time to restructure all of our schools to become inclusive of all of our children.”

Autisable: Routine Screening For Autism: Not Routine Enough

Though the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends early screening for children and provides free guidelines to all pediatricians, there are still pediatricians who recommend for children with autism to not be screened.

From the Friendship Circle Blog

Teachers Caught On Camera Bullying Special Needs Students

In case you didn’t catch this week’s two videos documenting teachers bullying students with special needs, this Friendship Circle post includes both videos and links to the full-length stories.

Inclusion is for EVERYONE!

This post explains how inclusion can benefit all students, why it is important for students, how lessons can be tailored to students with special needs, and who has the right to decide if inclusion programs should be implemented.

Social Skills: 4 steps to help your child engage in conversation

Does your child have difficulty starting conversations? Here are four steps that can help your child—the approach, appropriate greetings, continuing the conversation, and practice.

Different is the New Normal: New Documentary about Tourette Syndrome

“Different is the New Normal” is the story of Ariel Small, a 17-year-old with Tourette Syndrome. Ariel’s mother documented his journey to raise awareness about Tourette’s and help others who live with the condition.

What is Synesthesia?

Have you ever heard someone describing something tasting like a color? That’s an example of synesthesia, “a subjective, secondary, involuntary sensation that is different from an actual stimulus.” This post describes what synesthesia is, why it happens, and what it means.

WRITTEN ON December 26, 2013 BY:

Annie

Annie is currently a junior journalism major at Michigan State University. She is an associate editor for ing Magazine, a student-run magazine on campus, and manages ing's Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr accounts.
Annie has spent her last three summers at camp working with children who have special needs.
When she is not on Twitter or blogging, she likes to dance, swim, and read as many books as humanly possible.